…and it smells like a load of bull.
A while back, I posted my distaste for the XM/Sirius merger being approved by the DOJ on another blog and in some news comments.
“The Justice Department said the combination would lead to ’substantial’ cost saving steps such as consolidating the line of radios they offer. It said those savings would ’most likely to be passed on to consumers in the form of lower prices.’”
“The antitrust decision shifts the spotlight to the FCC, which must determine whether the XM-Sirius is in the public interest, and whether to enforce its 1997 order barring either satellite radio company from acquiring the other.”
Read the whole article online at: http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSWAT00918420080325?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=10004
Guess what happened this year when our XM and Sirius accounts came up for renewal?
- Previously included services (online radio) were now extracted and had to be paid for as a la carte add-ons AND the cost of service on both carriers has increased.
- The thing that kills me – the two companies aren’t operating as one.
- We still get two separate bills and do not get to take advantage of discounts available with four lines of service.
- OH! And to get the content on XM that was formerly exclusive to Sirius and vice versa, you also have to add on yet another a la carte option “The Best of Sirius”.
So all of the proposed benefits? Non existent.
Competition in the market place? Slim to none.
Justice department anti-trust group doing their job? Sketchy at best.
Why? It’s not like it’ll make any difference.
I’m not holding my breath that our anti-trust, anti-monopoly authorities will come through here, either. What a shame. I can’t tell you how much it thrills me to have such a low confidence in our government officials.
I’ll stick with eTix as my preferred ticketing vendor, because at least they don’t gouge my clients and event attendees.
/rant. (Thanks for letting me vent!)
- Five Tips for Lead Generation - July 15, 2020
- Using Email Marketing to Support All of Our Business Deliverables - July 10, 2020
- Raleighwood’s Lisa Jeffries Talks Email Marketing with ZeroBounce - December 13, 2019